Today’s Guest Speaker was Jesse Miller in EDCI 336. We discussed personal privacy settings for social media and brought attention to several reported cases of teachers breaking their school district policies for communication with Students. I was unaware of how much access the IT department has to retrieving files on the school server and the incredibly unrealistic standard that teachers are expected to maintain in their personal lives on social media. As well, the duty that educators have away from work in reporting inappropriate online and illegal behaviour of their students. I now have increasingly less interest in being active on social media as it seems to only cause problems. I think is it unfair for educators to have stringent guidelines on what they post, even if the activities themselves are legal. For instance having photographs containing alcohol or marijuana. I fear of photographs of myself as a minor surfacing and causing me to potentially lose a career because of poor decisions that I made while trying to explore myself. Honestly, I already don’t have a strong social media presence due to other personal objections surrounding the toxic culture. Sometimes, I wish we lived in a simpler time before technology was such a prominent part of our everyday lives.